Ford Volunteer Corps, Ford in India during Global Week of Caring 2013
Ford Global Week of Caring is being organized at Ford wherein close to 12,000 Ford employees, retirees and dealership volunteers will be undertaking various community projects across six continents. This is for eighth year in a row that Ford is bringing to the fore their philanthropic and generous endeavors in support to humanity.
Grants to the tune of US$ 290,000 have been set aside for these community service projects while US$40,000 has been sanctioned as grants for various projects in India. Ford Global Week of Caring will continue from September 7 to 15, 2013 as it takes into account over 200 community projects across 6 continents.
Ford India is also actively participating in this project with 1,500 employees and volunteers from Chennai, Coimbatore, Sanand and Delhi who will be representing Ford plants in Chennai and Sanand besides Ford Business Services Center and Ford Technology Services India. This team of 1,500 strong will address issues such as health, education and environment besides tackling concerns of woman empowerment and humanitarian support. This year, Ford employees have paid special attention to victims of Uttarakhand flood disaster while a donation of INR 59,04,000 was donated to Uttarakhand Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
Every employee contributes to The Ford Global Week of Caring in some way or the other and brings the company together as One Team and draws attention to One FORD philosophy in community service.
Ford Volunteer Corps Unite Globally to Create a Better World during Global Week of Caring
· For the eighth year running, more than 10,000 employees with Ford Volunteer Corps are tackling community projects around the world during the Ford Global Week of Caring
· More than USD 290,000 in grants worldwide help support community service projects, including new initiatives in Europe and the Asia Pacific region; more than USD 40,000 sanctioned as grants to support projects in India
· More than 1500 volunteers from Ford in India will work on 31 projects spanning education, health, environment, women’s empowerment & humanitarian support, across four locations
CHENNAI, India, 9 September, 2013 – At Ford Motor Company, about 10,000 members of the Ford Volunteer Corps are joining together this week to tackle more than 200 community projects across six continents during the eighth annual Ford Global Week of Caring (GWC). The Ford Volunteer Corps is out in force from India and China to Australia and from Europe to the Americas during September 7 through September 15, 2013. Ford Global Week of Caring is the highlight of a year-round global campaign to flex the volunteer muscle of Ford employees, retirees and dealers.
More than 1500 employee-volunteers from Ford in India spread across Chennai, Coimbatore, Sanand and Delhi, will unite and devote time to improving the quality of lives in the communities they are engaged with. With close to 31 projects, Ford Volunteer Corps in India will see representation from Ford India (Chennai & Sanand), and Ford’s Global Business Services (comprising of Ford Business Services Center and Ford Technology Services India). Being testament to the promise to ‘Go Further’, the teams will implement activities that address education, health, environment, women’s empowerment & humanitarian support.
“Together with building Great Products, backed by Strong Business, our vision is to also create a Better World for future generations, as pioneered by our founder Henry Ford,” said Joginder Singh, president and managing director, Ford India. “The Global Week of Caring adds considerable heft to our philanthropic initiatives as it enables every employee to contribute to our vision. Our volunteers are our biggest assets in our endeavour to mobilise social change that is sustainable, impactful and meaningful. Global Week of Caring is an initiative that not only brings us together as One Team, but also helps us demonstrate a One FORD philosophy towards community outreach.”
In keeping with the true spirit of volunteerism, Ford employees have come together to mobilize relief for the victims of the Uttarakhand flood disaster. Further to this, one of the key highlights of this year’s Global Week of Caring is a donation of Rs. 59, 04, 000, which is being made to the Uttarakhand Chief Minister’s Relief Fund. Besides the contributions from Ford and Ford employees, the donation in aid of the flood victims, also includes contributions from Ford’s dealer-partners.
Some of the other key initiatives that are being undertaken by volunteers of Ford in India include inter-school competitions that help children showcase their talents, medical awareness camps, Driving Skills for Life (DSFL) sessions to spread the message of safe and eco-friendly driving, an awareness campaign across two cities to spread the message of eye donation, planting of tree saplings towards creating a more sustainable environment and the clean-up and restoration of water bodies (close to Ford’s areas of operations in Chennai).
More than USD 290,000 in grants worldwide has been allocated to help support community service projects, including new initiatives in Europe and the Asia Pacific region. More than USD 40,000 has been sanctioned as grants to support projects in India.
“Ford Motor Company and its employees have been giving back to the communities where we live and work for more than 100 years,” said David Dubensky, executive director of Ford’s Global Business Services. “Throughout the year, Ford volunteers get involved in numerous projects, but during the Ford Global Week of Caring, when employees around the world come together as ONE Ford, it is a powerful force of good in any language. With every passing year, we go further and get closer to our vision of a better world.”
Annexure 1: Projects being undertaken by Ford in India during Global Week of Caring 2013
Employee-volunteers from Ford India Pvt. Ltd, Chennai will engage in the following activities between Sep 7 and 15:
· A platform for children from lesser-privileged backgrounds to showcase their talent through arts competitions
· Medical awareness camps aimed at adolescent girls and women, in villages in and around the Maraimalai Nagar area, focusing on the importance of personal hygiene and related aspects
· Spreading the message of safe and responsible driving with Ford Driving Skills for Life sessions for nearly 500 Air Force personnel
· A fun-filled activity where trainees from the tailoring program supported by Ford will work with children and volunteers to create simple embroidery patterns and paintings on glass
· The volunteers will continue last year’s highly successful shoe donation drive by distributing school shoes to more than 1,800 students from schools close to the manufacturing plant, thereby helping address a basic need in these communities
· Build on the Digital Literacy initiative through the donation of 50 computers to 6 schools close to the manufacturing plant
· Initiatives aimed at facilitating a sustainable environment, through clean-up of a lake and planting of 750 tree saplings in the community and 2 schools close to the plant. Volunteers will leverage the opportunity to partner with dealers pan India and encourage them to give away tree saplings to all customers whose cars are delivered during this week
· The Global Week of Caring will culminate in a grand finale, which will see participation from children and the communities from the villages close to the manufacturing plants. This event will also present an opportunity for partner organizations (NGOs) to showcase some of the work undertaken as part of Ford’s Better World program
Volunteers in Sanand, where our new integrated manufacturing facility is coming up, will
· Undertake medical camps, where health kits and pamphlets will be distributed in schools and homes close-by
· Organize poster-making competitions, creating an opportunity for children who come from marginalized backgrounds. Stationery kits, which will make learning more fun, will also be distributed to children
· Plant tree saplings as part of the Go Green! Go Further! initiative
· Organize a grand finale, to mark the end of the Global Week of Caring in Sanand
At Ford’s Global Business Services
· Volunteers will come together to clean and restore a nearby water body and plant saplings in the office premises. In addition, volunteers will create awareness on Safe, Economical, and Eco-friendly driving through an Eco Rally.
· Volunteers will organize an “Game Changers” an inter-school sports championship contest for over 1,000 students from nearby schools
· Organize medical awareness camps for adolescent girl students on the importance of personal hygiene
· Dispel the myths surrounding eye donation during a special awareness session conducted by doctors, and organize an eye donation camp at two cities
· Visit orphanages and spend quality time with the children, and give away gifts making their wishes come true
· Organize Health Camps for the children at local schools, and provide them with hygiene-kits and pamphlets
· The volunteers will organize an interactive cooking workshop on healthy food and eco-friendly cooking for the women from a nearby hamlet
· Organize art competitions, quiz contests, and elocution competitions for students from local schools