At their Technology Centre in Leicestershire, England, Royal Enfield unveiled their all new 650 cc parallel twin engine. This new engine will form the basis of Royal Enfield’s majority of future launches, as they increase their focus on improving their sales across the globe.
The brand which claims to be the global leader in the 250-750 cc segment, sells about 700,000 motorcycles a year. Most of these are sold in India and about 1,000 units are exported to markets abroad every month. To increase their sales outside India, this new engine has been announced.
This new RE 650 engine will be seen on board two new bikes. These bikes are set to make global debut in a few hours from now – at the 2017 Milan Motorcycle Show. Speaking about their new engine, Royal Enfield says that it is their first ever modern twin-cylinder engine. Though design is inspired by a 1948 twin cylinder engine, it has all the modern features. The SOHC parallel twin, 648 cc air-cooled engine delivers 47 hp at 7100 rpm and 52 Nm at 4000 rpm.
This when compared to their rival, Harley Davidson Street 750, is an impressive figure. The HD 750 is a Vtwin liquid cooled 750 cc motor which delivers about 55 PS of power and 60 Nm torque. Not much is revealed about the RE engine. But, below are the 10 facts which Royal Enfield have high-lighted in their release shared with the mediaRoyal Enfield UK Technical Center
10 Things Royal Enfield has to say about their new engine
1) The core idea behind the modern 650 cc twin engine is to develop a global platform.
2) The engine has been designed to offer the right balance between power, torque and usability, to ensure a smooth and unintimidating riding experience.
3) It will offer broad spread of torque which will make the motorcycle easy to ride without frequently shifting gears.
4) The new platform is a 4 stroke, single overhead cam, air-cooled, 648cc parallel twin cylinder engine developed by Royal Enfield’s UK Technology Centre and Chennai teams.
5) Precisely engineered to be able to accelerate and deliver higher power and torque at lower RPMs.
6) Ride experience is hassle-free and smooth.
7) A highly refined engine, with true highway capability.
8) Developed to excel across a wide range of real-world conditions.
9) The engine feels fun, potent, and easy-to-use.
10) Thanks to the use of a balancer shaft, unwelcome vibrations have been eliminated.Royal Enfield 650 designers.