2019 BMW S1000RR debuts with more power, less weight – Gets M Performance parts
New BMW S1000RR is 8 hp more powerful and 11 kgs less heavier than the outgoing variant.
After months of seeing spy shots, BMW has finally taken the veils off their all new flagship supersport machine – the S1000RR. At the EICMA show in Milan today, the 2019 BMW S1000RR made global debut. Powering the S1000RR is the same 4 cylinder 1 liter engine from before, but this one is tuned to deliver 207 hp (8 hp more than before). On top of this, overall weight has been reduced from 208 kgs to 197 kgs. Weight can be further reduced to 193.5 kgs with the M Performance package.
First launched in 2009, this is the third generation of the BMW S1000RR. Though there are not much changes visually, BMW says that with the new S1000RR, motorcycling has been upgraded to a whole new level. In short – “The new BMW S 1000 RR – even lighter, faster and easier to control.”
Thanks to the enhanced performance, the new BMW S1000RR is atleast 1 second faster than the older machine in a drag race. The technology on offer – from traction control, wheelie control, ABS LED lighting, digital console, etc – is all upgraded to new generation and being offered for the first time in a BMW Motorrad machine.
The engine is developed using BMW ShiftCam Technology which helps in delivering enhanced power in the lower and medium engine speed range and increased top-end power. The engine itself is 4 kgs lighter than before.
Suspensions are completely revamped. Then there are four ride modes – Rain, Road, Dynamic and Race. These come as standard. In case you want more, then there are the Pro Modes, which are offered as optional extras. In this you get three more modes – Race Pr 1-3, each of these are freely programmable as per your convenience.
The highlights of the new BMW S 1000 RR:
– 4 kg lighter
– Increased output and torque: 152 kW (207 hp) (in the USA: 151 kW (205 hp)) at 13 500 rpm and 113 Nm at 11 000 rpm.
– At least 100 Nm of torque from 5 500 to 14 500 rpm.
– Newly developed suspension featuring Flex Frame, with the engine taking on more of a load-bearing function.
– Significantly improved ergonomics due to Flex Frame.
– Refined suspension geometry for further improved handling, increased traction and crystal-clear feedback in the threshold range.
– New rear wheel suspension weighing 300 g less than before with Full Floater Pro kinematics.
– Weight reduction of 11 – 14.5 kg to 197 kg when fully fuelled (DIN unladen) and 193.5 kg with M Package.
– New exhaust system weighing some 1.3 kg less, with front silencer.
– New 6-axis sensor cluster.
– Engine brake function, adjustable.
– Launch Control for perfect starts comes with “Pro Modes” option.
– Shift pattern can easily be reversed.
– Electronic cruise control as an ex works option.
– New instrument panel with 6.5-inch screen
M package for the new BMW S1000 RR comprises the following:
– Motorsport paint finish
– M carbon fibre wheels
– M light weight battery
– M Chassis Kit with rear ride height adjustment and swingarm pivot
– M sport seat
= Pro Mode