The Audi A8 L 2020 is the company’s flagship saloon, with a price tag of Rs 1.56 crore ex-showroom.
Audi India has launched its new flagship sedan, the 2020 A8 L, at a starting price of Rs 1.56 crore ex-showroom. This is the long-wheelbase version of the A8 sedan and we draw your attention to 8 distinctive features of this SUV that set it apart:
1. Mild-Hybrid Technology – The new 2020 Audi A8 L comes in with a V6 3.0-liter TFSI engine offering 449 PS power and 700 Nm torque mated with mild-hybrid technology. It receives a belt alternator starter, a lithium-ion battery with 10 Ah electric capacity and a PSM motor with a peak output of 100 kW and 350 Nm torque serving as its electric drive. The powertrain gets an 8-speed Tiptronic that sends power to all four wheels via a Quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system. Acceleration between 55 and 160 kmph is possible with the engine off and hence resulting in zero emissions for up to 40 seconds.
2. Unique Exterior Design – The 2020 Audi A8 L comes in with a unique sporty and elegant exterior design. It gets a single-frame grille along with a flowing body stance with a full-length light strip at the rear. In terms of dimensions, the A8 L measures 5.3 meters in length, 1.95 meters in width and 1.49 meters in height.
3. All-Wheel Steering System – All-wheel steering in a longer-wheelbase vehicle offers a shorter turning radius. The system enhances lane changing ease and at lower speeds, the rear wheels turn in opposite directions. This allows for the reduction of turning radius and makes the Audi A8 L easy to manoeuvre in the city and crowded parking situations.
4. Air Quality Pack – The special air quality pack on the Audi A8 L includes twin ionizers that charge air molecules electrically with negative ions. These anions attract dust particles to form mini clusters that fall to the floor so that they are not inhaled by the occupants. This system renders allergens and micro-organisms harmless. There is also a fragrance system releasing a pleasant aroma through the cabin while the instrument panel gets two vials of concentrated oil offering both summer and winter fragrances. These oils are stable in extreme heat or cold and are safe for occupants, animals and interior materials.
5. MMI Touch Response System – Another unique feature on the new Audi A8 L is that it does away with the rotary/push-button control and touchpad seen on its earlier counterpart and in its place is a unique MMI touch response system. Located in the central part of the instrument panel, this 25.65cm touchscreen display blends into the high gloss black surrounding when off. When on, it shows a high-res UI that allows users to arrange the icons within, in an order of importance.
6. Plush Interiors – Set to be the company’s flagship saloon, the new Audi A8 L comes in with lavish interiors. It receives a 10.1” touchscreen system, Matrix LED reading lights controllable via a rear seat remote control and bespoke perforated upholstery and satin leather head restraints.
7. Foot Massagers – The rear left-hand seat comes in with a relaxation seat with options for adjustment and massage facilities. There is also a footrest on the rear of the front passenger seat, with a foot massager adaptable for small, medium or large foot sizes. It comes in with varying intensity and heating levels.
8. Rear Seat Entertainment with Android Tablets – As far as rear-seat entertainment is concerned, the Audi A8 L receives two detachable Android tablets along with a rear-seat remote. This can be used for infotainment and to make phone calls. The rear-seat remote has an OLED display and is completely detachable from where it is stored in the central armrest.
The Audi A8 L primarily rivals the BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S Class and Jaguar XJ L, as it has always done. With just a petrol engine on offer, it would be interesting to see if it can garner enough interest to be a strong contender in the upper luxury-car market.