HomeBike NewsBajajBajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Chennai And Hyderabad Launch Soon

Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Chennai And Hyderabad Launch Soon

Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Hyderabad And Chennai
Image – Nitish Neo

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter recently received a price hike of up to Rs 28k – Bookings are currently closed

The Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, launched in January 2020 entered the electric two wheeler segment with much fanfare. It managed to garner bookings to the extent of 2,000 units but then the COVID-19 pandemic struck and sales ebbed. Till March 2021, Chetak scooter sales stood at about 1,400 units.

Chetak’s Next Two New Cities

This is only from two cities – Pune and Bangalore. Bajaj has not launched Chetak in any other city till now. They had plans to launch Chetak in multiple cities by end of 2020, but due to Covid19, that plan has gotten delayed.

As on date, Bajaj Auto is only selling this e-scooter via its 13 dealerships in the cities of Pune and Bengaluru. Bajaj Auto has just announced the next two cities which will get their state of the art electric scooter. These are Chennai and Hyderabad. Both these cities are expected to get the Chetak in the next few days. Exact timeline has not been announced yet.

Bajaj Chetak Electric Expansion Plans
Bajaj Chetak Electric Expansion Plans

Chetak Price Hike

Bajaj Chetak is presented in two variants of Urbane and Premium. At the time of launch in Jan 2020, these were priced at Rs.1,00,000 and Rs.1,15,000 respectively. After the recent price hike in April 2021, these variants are now priced at Rs 1,42,620 and Rs 1,44,620. All prices are ex-sh.

Both the variants are powered by the same powertrain with the key difference being a drum brake in the Urbane. The company has also revealed future plans to make the Chetak a global brand with the first step being initiated to patent the Chetak electric design for the European markets.

Bajaj Chetak e-scooter is powered by an electric motor producing 3.8kW/4.1kW continuous/peak power along with a 3 kWh lithium ion battery. It promises a range of 95 kms while in Eco mode and 85 km in Sports mode. The battery has a 3 year/50,000 km warranty.

Software Update

Bajaj recently announced a software upgrade, the first for the e-scooter since launch. This software update will see the Chetak with a more accurate range indicator. The company has been contacting owners to bring in the Chetak for the software update which has to be done by a technician at the company’s authorized service center.

There is a diagnostic tool required for the software upgrade. A port will connect this tool to e-scooter which is located near the right hand side of the pillion footrest. The installation takes a matter of 10 minutes to install but it takes more than 24 hours to take effect.

Steps to be followed for the software upgrade includes the complete 100 percent SoC charge of the vehicle battery. The e-scooter then has to be ridden till 15 percent SoC following which it has to rest for 12 hours and then again battery should be charged upto 100 percent SoC and again taken for a ride till 15 percent SoC. This will once again be followed by a 12 hour rest and recharge upto 100 percent SoC so as to complete the software upgrade.

Once completed, the Chetak e-scooter will note two changes. Firstly there will be an improved accuracy in range reading. The fluctuations in actual and displayed distance to empty will be reduced particularly in the case of downhill riding. This will give the rider an accurate assessment of remaining charge. The range will also be enhanced. When taken to the test, the Bajaj Chetak with the software update could travel over a 94 km distance using 94 percent charge while the remaining 6 percent charge allowed the rider to continue till 100 kms.

Rushlane Google news