BMW reveals updates for 3 Series, 5 Series and 6 Series: Unveils 2013 M6 coupe and convertible
BMW has planned plenty of changes for their new 2013 models of 3 Series, 5 Series and 6 Series which will be launched in UK markets. Enhancements will be seen both in features and engine details. BMW ActiveHybrid 3 will be available in SE, Modern, Luxury and M Sport trims and pricing will commence from £40,225 onwards.
These vehicles will have 3.0 liter turbocharged inline six petrol engine with a 40 kw electric motor offering a total output of 335 hp and 450 Nm torque. The vehicle will have sprint time of 5.3 seconds from 0 to 62 mph and fuel economy of 47.9 miles per gallon while auto emissions at slated to be in the 139 g/km bracket. Later in November, BMW will launch the 320i Efficient Dynamics with price of £40,225 OTR and will have a mileage figure of 53.3 mpg.
The German automakers have similar designs in store for the 2013 5 Series range of vehicles. 520d Gran Turismo will be fitted with a 2.0 liter turbocharged diesel engine offering 181 hp and 53.3 miles per gallon and will be offered in SE and M Sport while pricing will commence from £36,605 onwards.
BMW has also upgraded their 6 series giving them enhanced 650i engines offering 443 hp power and 479 lb/ft torque up 41 hp and 37 lb/ft as compared to earlier models. These will be priced at £70,650 and above for its various models.
Read the press release below for information about the new BMW M6 coupe and convertible variants.
Auto News Release
The new BMW M6. Coupe and Convertible.
At a glance
• New edition of the BMW M6 in Coupe and Convertible body variants; generous dose of M feeling combined with alluring design aesthetics, a luxurious aura, seating for four and innovative equipment features; high-performance sports car with superior performance attributes and extremely exclusive character; BMW M6 Coupe and BMW M6 Convertible both occupy a unique position in the premium segment of the executive class thanks to their blend of outstanding dynamics, hallmark M conceptual harmony and everyday usability; further development of both concepts breaks new ground with significantly improved efficiency, optimised controls for individualising the car set-up and a wider variety of driver assistance systems and infotainment functions available from BMW ConnectedDrive.
• Visually imposing body design with dynamically elegant lines and hallmark M athleticism provides an accurate visual showcase for the car’s high-performance properties; BMW M6 Coupe with strikingly contoured roof made from carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP); BMW M6 Convertible with high-quality soft-top boasting distinctive “fin” architecture.
• High-revving 4.4-litre V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology, consisting of Twin Scroll Twin Turbo technology, cross-bank exhaust manifold, High Precision Direct Petrol Injection and VALVETRONIC fully variable valve control; hallmark M power delivery headlined by instantaneous responsiveness and a sustained wave of thrust; highest output in the segment; 412 kW/560 hp at 6,000 – 7,000 rpm, maximum torque: 680 Newton metres (502 lb-ft) from 1,500 rpm; maximum engine speed: 7,200 rpm; engine output 10 per cent higher than predecessor models, maximum torque 30 per cent higher.
• Acceleration: 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.2 seconds (BMW M6 Coupe) or 4.3 seconds (BMW M6 Convertible); 0–200 km/h (124 mph) in 12.6 (13.1) seconds; electronically governed top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph) or 305 km/h (189 mph) with M Driver’s Package.
• Extraordinarily fine balance between performance and fuel consumption represents major improvement on previous models; average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle: 9.9 litres per 100 km / 28.5 mpg imp (BMW M6 Coupe) and 10.3 litres per 100 km / 27.4 mpg imp (BMW M6 Convertible); Auto Start-Stop function and further Efficient Dynamics technology as standard; fuel consumption of the respective predecessor models cut by more than 30 per cent.
• Seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic; automatic gear selection tuned to deliver optimum traction, Launch Control and Low Speed Assistance; bespoke M gear selector; newly developed M leather steering wheel with gearshift paddles.
• Power sent to the rear wheels; Active M Differential ensures fully variable distribution of drive between the rear wheels. Result is optimised traction and directional stability during dynamic lane changes and when accelerating out of corners.
• High-performance characteristics with outstanding dynamics and precisely controllable handling, thanks to hallmark M harmony in the interplay of powertrain and chassis technology, aerodynamics and weight balance; weight-to-power ratio – BMW M6 Coupe: 3.3 kg/hp, BMW M6 Convertible: 3.5 kg/hp.
• M-specific chassis with bespoke front and rear axle kinematics; M-specific Dynamic Damper Control as standard; DSC stability control incl. M Dynamic Mode; M Servotronic steering; body strengthening using special panels; lightweight compound high-performance braking system; available as an option are newly developed M carbon-ceramic brakes with optimum resistance to fade and wear, and lower weight.
• Engine responses, M Servotronic mapping, Drivelogic shift program, DSC mode, damper characteristics and information shown on the Head-Up Display can be programmed individually; two M Drive buttons on the steering wheel can be used to store and call up individually configured car set-up options.
• Body design with classical BMW Coupe/Convertible proportions, customary sporty yet elegant BMW 6 Series looks and typical M sporting edge; special M design features provide an accurate visual representation of the car’s technical profile and performance; three-section, strikingly modelled lower air intake with aerodynamically optimised flaps; new M kidney grille with black double slats; flared wheel arches; hallmark M gills with integrated direction indicator bars; aerodynamically optimised exterior mirrors and side skirts; BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow Line; exposed reflectors below the rear lights; aerodynamically optimised rear apron with diffuser between the right and left-hand pair of twin exhaust tailpipes; 19-inch (standard) or 20-inch (optional) forged M light-alloy wheels, each with a distinctive interpretation of the familiar M double-spoke design.
• Luxurious, elegantly sweeping interior design with special M controls and styling features; newly developed M double-spoke leather steering wheel; M gear selector and car set-up controls on the model-specific centre console; exclusive M sports seats with integrated belt system (optional: M multifunction seats); Merino leather upholstery with extended features; exclusive carbon-fibre interior trim strips; illuminated door sill finishers with model lettering; M-specific instrument cluster with black-panel technology; 2-zone automatic climate control with extended features, ambient lighting.
• Adaptive LED Headlights fitted as standard, extensive range of
BMW ConnectedDrive features, some unmatched by any rival: BMW Head-Up Display with M-specific information, High Beam Assistant, BMW Night Vision with pedestrian recognition, Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning, rear-view camera, Surround View, Speed Limit Info, internet access, extended integration of smartphones and music players, Real Time Traffic Information and apps for receiving web radio and using Facebook and Twitter.
• Almost all BMW 6 Series equipment options available, including Comfort Access, active seats, heated steering wheel, doors with Soft Close Automatic function, navigation system Professional, Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound System.
• Performance, fuel consumption and emissions data:
BMW M6 Coupe:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 4.2 seconds,
acceleration [0 – 200 km/h (124 mph)]: 12.6 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph), 305 km/h (189 mph) with
M Driver’s Package,
average fuel consumption: 9.9 litres/100 kilometres (28.5 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions: 232 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
BMW M6 Convertible:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 4.3 seconds,
acceleration [0 – 200 km/h (mph)]: 13.1 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph), 305 km/h (189 mph) with M Driver’s Package),
average fuel consumption: 10.3 litres/100 kilometres (27.4 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions: 239 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.