Ferrari leads RM Auctions Saturday Sale at Monterey: 13 cars auctioned for more than $1 million
The past weekend will go down in history as being one of most spectacular auctions conducted by RM Auctions. During which, a total of 13 cars were auctioned for a price in upwards of $1 million. Ferrari’s ruled the day when it came to most highly auctioned vehicles. Among these prized vehicles were top of the class 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder which auctioned for $8,580,000 while next in line was a 1956 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Tour de France which went for $6,710,000.
Five more Ferrari cars were also among the million dollar plus category during the auction which was completed in three and half hours. A packed house, tense with excitement and teeming with rich and famous all clamoring for a slice of the pie were witness to RM Auctions display of prized vehicles. Besides the two top Ferraris, the list also included a 1955 Aston Martin DB3S Sports Racing Car which auctioned for $3,685,000, a 1967 Ford GT40 Mark I which received a knock down price of $2,860,000.
In addition 2001 Bentley Speed 8 Le Mans Prototype Racing Car was sold at $2,530,000, 1960 Aston Martin DB GT at $2,035,000 which created a world record of any Aston Martin in an auction, 1929 Duesenberg Model J Disappearing Top Convertible Coupe auctioned for $1,897,000 and a host of other such prized classics making it the most significant auction to be held at Monterey.
Read the news release below for more information.
FERRARIS DOMINATE RM’S SATURDAY SALE SESSION IN MONTEREY
– RM’s Saturday sale session topped by a 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder for $8,580,000 and a 1956 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta ‘Tour de France’ for $6,710,000
– Five Ferraris attract million-dollar-plus results during three-and-a-half hour auction
– 13 automobiles realize prices exceeding $1 million each during Saturday evening sale with numerous new world records established
MONTEREY, CA (August 19, 2012) – RM Auctions, the world’s largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, continued its strong track record for historic Ferraris in Monterey, California last night (August 18) with a 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder achieving a remarkable $8,580,000 and a 1956 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta ‘Tour de France’ realizing a strong $6,710,000 before a packed house.
Considered one of the most beautiful and desirable Ferraris in existence, the short wheelbase California Spyder, chassis 3119 GT, is one of only 37 short wheelbase variants in the highly desirable covered headlight configuration. Resplendent in Rosso Corsa over a tan leather interior, the exclusive, Ferrari Classiche certified example sparkled under the auction lights, attracting spirited bidding before selling to a collector on the phone. Another great example from the famed Italian marque handpicked for the sale, the fourteen-louver 1956 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta ‘Tour de France’, chassis, 0585 GT, also spurred a lively bidding contest in the room and on the phones before being won by a collector onsite.
The sale-topping pair led an impressive group of five historic Ferraris achieving million-dollar-plus results during RM’s Saturday sale session. In total, 13 automobiles exceeded $1 million each during the three-and-a-half hour sale, with a number of new world records set.
RM Monterey Million-Dollar-Plus Sales (Saturday)
1. 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder – $8,580,000
2. 1956 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta ‘Tour de France’ – $6,710,000
3. 1955 Aston Martin DB3S Sports Racing Car – $3,685,000
4. 1967 Ford GT40 Mark I – $2,860,000
5. 2001 Bentley Speed 8 Le Mans Prototype Racing Car -$2,530,000
6. 1960 Aston Martin DB4GT – $2,035,000 (world record for a DB4GT sold at auction)
7. 1929 Duesenberg Model J Disappearing Top Convertible Coupe – $1,897,000
8. 1953 Bentley Continental R-Type Fastback Sports Saloon – $1,622,500 (world record for a Bentley Continental R-Type sold at auction)
9. 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 -$1,485,000
10. 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 ‘Competizione Speciale’ – $1,485,000
11. 1964 Shelby 289 Competition Cobra – $1,320,000
12. 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB – $1,182,500
13. 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ Coupe – $1,171,500
The Saturday sale session concluded RM’s 2012 Monterey auction. In total, the two-day sale presented approximately 120 blue-chip automobiles as part of the most significant auction offering ever presented on the Monterey Peninsula. Full sale results will be posted online shortly at www.rmauctions.com.
(All figures are reported in U.S. dollars and include the 10 percent buyer’s premium)