HomeCar NewsMaharashtra, UP, Gujarat are states with highest car sales for H1 FY...

Maharashtra, UP, Gujarat are states with highest car sales for H1 FY 2018 / 19

Car sales in the first half of financial year 2018 / 2019 stood at a total 17,41,234 units. These are almost evenly spread out between West zone (5,23,032), South zone (5,03,050), and North zone (4,98,073). The only exception is East zone, where H1 FY18/19 car sales totalled just 2,17,079 units.

In a way we should be thankful for that because Eastern region is among the last remaining green areas in the country. Total car sales in FY18/19 are expected to touch 35 lakh units, as sales are higher during the festive season and in Dec/Mar.

Zone and state-wise car sales stats (H1 FY18/19) – Maharashtra is at number one position with sales of 1,82,994 units, followed by Uttar Pradesh (1,51,677), Gujarat (1,49,203), Kerala (1,35,366), Karnataka (1,20,665), Tamil Nadu (1,19,066), Delhi (1,01,501), Haryana (93,259), Rajasthan (85,144), and Madhya Pradesh (68,042). These 10 states contributed nearly 70% of the total car sales in H1 FY18/19.

Zone-wise toppers are Maharashtra in West, Kerala in South, UP in North and West Bengal (28,502) in East zone. States/UT with the least sales (less than one per cent of total car sales) are Goa, Meghalaya, Pondicherry, Nagaland, Tripura, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Mizoram, and Andaman & Nicobar.

Credit – Auto Punditz

Maruti and Hyundai car sales and market shareMaruti and Hyundai dominate the best selling cars list in the country. If we look at zone-wise figures, Maruti Suzuki has the largest market share of 54% in North zone with sales of 2,70,070 units. This is followed by 53% market share in West zone, 51% in East zone and 50% in South zone. Hyundai has largest market share of 17% in West zone with sales of 90,203 cars. This is followed by North and East at 16% each and 14% in South zone. Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai have grabbed almost 70% market share, which presents a tough proposition for other car makers who have to fight for the remaining 30%.

FY18/19 vs. FY17/18 car sales comparison – As compared to H1 FY18, most states have registered positive growth in H1 FY18/19. Mizoram registered highest growth of 59%, followed by Sikkim, Nagaland and Andhra Pradesh at 29% each. Arunachal Pradesh has the highest negative growth of -11%. Five other states/UT have negative growth – Andaman & Nicobar (-6%), Goa (-4%), Maharashtra (-3%), Delhi (-2%), and Kerala (-1%).

Rushlane Google news