Other factories across India should take a page out of the book of the Mahindra and Mahindra green factory plant in Bangalore. The plant was recently certified by Indian Green Building Council and was rated as the best and even awarded a Platinum Ring for their outstanding contribution to preserving the environment.
This environmentally conscious plant of Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicle Company scored 82 points in the review conducted by IGBS as ensured that it stands way ahead among all other automobile manufacturing plants in the country. Receiving a Platinum Ring is the highest rating ever given for a company plant and a feather in the cap for M&M which they richly deserve.
Among various environmentally friendly facilities available at the Mahindra REVA electric vehiicle plant are drip irrigation system for landscape gardens, on sight solar PVs that cater to 35% of energy consumption, Solar PV powered charging stations and effective management of solid waste. There’s also 100% treatment and reuse of gray water, improved fresh air ventilation system, measuring and monitoring of energy consumption and yes, 100% of the factory space is lit by LED. The Mahindra Reve NXR (EV) is slated for a launch later in 2012.
Mahindra Reva Manufacturing Plant – A Sustainable Site
Certified by IGBC with ‘Platinum’ Rating
Indian Green Building Council –
• India is witnessing tremendous growth in infrastructure and construction development. The construction industry in India is one of the largest economic activities and is growing at an average rate of 9.5% as compared to the global average of 5%.
• To enable the construction industry to be environmentally sensitive, CII-Sohrabji Godrej Green Business Centre has established the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC). IGBC is a consensus driven not-for-profit council representing the building industry, consisting of more than 600 committed members.
• The IGBC Green Factory rating system is a measurement system designed for rating both new and existing factory buildings. The rating is valid for 3 years. On completion of 3 years projects can validate/renew based on the prevailing latest version.
Mahindra Reva Manufacturing Plant –
The Mahindra Reva new manufacturing plant has been developed in accordance with the standards set by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC-India), a universally accepted benchmark for the design and operation of high performance green buildings. Some of the salient features of the Mahindra Reva plant based on the 5 elements of nature (Panchabhutas) are –
• Improved fresh air ventilation
• Entire factory premises is declared as a ‘No Smoking’ zone
• Eco friendly, green housekeeping practices
• Use of low VOC paints
• Noise insulation features
• Breakout spaces, Aerobic exercise and on-site gym
Fire (Energy)• Electricity from Solar
o Supplies 35% of plant load
o 75 KW installed capacity
o Saves 53000 Kg CO2 emissions / year
o Saves 22000 Litres of Diesel / year
o Stockyard for parking of FG with 312 panels
o Tree structure for parking of employee cars with 16 panels
• High efficiency glazing used for windows
• 100% use of LED lights
• Ample use of natural light
• Parking & charging for electric vehicles
• Rain water harvesting with 48KL capacity
• Water softening plant with 2000 LPH capacity
• RO Water plant with 500 LPH capacity
• Sewage treatment plant with 25 KL capacity
• Drip irrigation system for landscape
• 30% savings in potable water through usage of low flow rate faucets
• Soil erosion prevention
• Natural landscaping
• Waste segregation and recycling• >75% of construction waste is reused
• High recycle content and use of locally available material for
Mahindra Reva plant was awarded 82 points in the site review by IGBC and qualified for ‘Platinum’ Rating, thus setting a record of being First Automobile manufacturing plant in the country certified with IGBC Platinum rating.