Maruti Suzuki flags off 15th edition of Desert Storm Rally – Day 1 Report
Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm 15th edition sports a 207 kms stage which is longest stage in Indian Motorsport history.
Touted as the mini version of the Dakar Rally, Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm Rally 2017 has been officially flagged off. It will see more than 200 participants cover a distance of 2,000 kms over a 6 days period. Participants will travel through some of the most challenging of terrains across Hanumangarh, Bikaner and Jaisalmer before concluding at Jodhpur on 4th February 2017 where the prize distribution ceremony will also be held. For the first time, the rally will also include a 150 kms night leg in Jaisalmer.
Over 200 participants are taking part in the 15th Edition of Desert Storm with past champions Suresh Rana, Sandeep Sharma and C S Santhosh also among them. 10 woman participants are also included among whom are Bani Yadav and Sarah Kashyap who were podium finishers in the earlier editions of Maruti Desert Storm, Dakshin Dare and Raid de Himalaya.
Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm 15th edition is divided into four categories of XTreme, NDure, Xplore and Moto. Strict adherence to vehicle compliance is a part of the pre-qualification while all participants have been instructed in on ground safety precautions through the duration of the rally.
Maruti Suzuki India Limited has been actively promoting motorsports in India for the past 15 years. The company’s motorsport calendar is filled with such motorsport events which can be enjoyed both by amateurs and professions. These rallies include Maruti Suzuki Raid-De-Himalaya, Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm and Maruti Suzuki Dakshin Dare while the company has also recently added National Super League TSD Rally Championship and Maruti Suzuki Autocross championship to its list of such exciting events Special emphasis is paid to participant safety while all such events promote safe driving habits.
Day 0,1 Report
– Saturday was on site registration of the teams and their vehicles at Noida Rally Office
– Sunday was driver briefing at Radisson Blu, Noida Sec 18
– Post briefing, we all went to great India place (mall) where all the cars and bikes were stickered and ready for event flag off
– Till evening interviews and flag off were happening
– After all the participants left, we media followed them in Innovas
– Full night we drove from Noida to Hanumangarh (Rajasthan)
– We reached by early morning
– Now all final checks are completed and Leg 1 has been flagged off for all four classes
– Now we are heading to Bikaner where the special stages will be concluding for today
Stay tuned as we update the post.