Maruti Suzuki India is the no 1 car manufacturer in the country. Their cars are also among the lightest, when it comes to comparing the kerb weight with rivals. In the list of India’s lightest 10 cars, there are 7 Maruti cars, 2 from Datsun, and 1 from Renault.
The reason Maruti car are among the lightest in India, is because the company aims to deliver best in class mileage. ‘Kitna deti hain’ has long been a tag line which has often been associated with Maruti cars. This has resulted in their cars being highest in fuel efficiency and lowest in kerb weight. Below is the detailed list of India’s lightest cars on sale currently.
1. Datsun Redigo @ 670 kgs – Datsun Redigo is the lightest car on sale in the country. It claims to meet surpasses current safety norms prevalent in the country. It gets its power via a 0.8 liter and a 1.0 liter engine. Its power to weight ratio is at 80.6 hp/tonne where the 0.8 liter engine is concerned going up to 101.5 hp/tonne for the 1.0 liter engine.
2. Maruti Alto 800 @ 695 kgs – The Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 did not fare well in Global NCAP crash test, where it achieved a zero rating in adult occupancy. The company will soon be phasing out this hatchback, and replace it with new gen model. As has been the case with all new gen Maruti cars launched recently, new gen Alto could be even lighter than the current Alto.
3. Renault Kwid @ 699 kgs – The Renault Kwid once claimed to be India’s most fuel efficient car with ARAI rating at 25.17 kmpl, has now been taken over by the Datsun Redigo offering 28.4 kmpl fuel efficiency. The Kwid has a low kerb weight which has not resulted in loss of torsional rigidity in any way. Power to weight ratio stands at 77.3 hp/tonne and 97.3 hp/tonne for its two engine options and while the 1.0 liter engine can accelerate from 0 to 100 kmph in 13.85 seconds the smaller engine takes 17.94 seconds to achieve the same.
4. Maruti Alto K10 @ 740 kgs – Set to be replaced with a new model as the current model fails to comply with upcoming safety norms, the Alto K10 is just under 750 kgs in overall kerb weight and ranks among the 10 lightest cars in the country. It is powered by a 1.0 liter engine offering 68 hp peak power while acceleration from 0 to 100 kmph is achieved in 15.87 seconds. ARAI rating on fuel efficiency stands at 24.07 kmpl and is among the highest in India.
5. Maruti Omni @ 785 kgs – The Maruti Omni is the only MPV on the list of lightest cars on sale in India. It is offered in 5, 7 and 8 seater options and yet weigh between 785 to 800 kgs. The model may be discontinued with the implementation the upcoming Bharat New Vehicles Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP) coming into effect from October 2020, due to the fact that its flat front design lacks structural integrity. The model cannot be fitted with crumple zones that are vital for absorbing impact in the event of a collision. It has a 0.8 liter, 3 cylinder petrol engine offering 35 hp power and 59 Nm torque while power to weight ration stands at 43.8-44.6hp/tonne.
6. Maruti WagonR @ 805 kgs– New generation Maruti WagonR was launched last month in India. It is lighter by 65 kgs than the older WagonR which is now discontinued. It is offered in a choice of petrol option only. Dual fuel option of LPG and CNG are expected to be launched at a later date.
7. Maruti Celerio @ 815 kgs – The Maruti Celerio 5 seater hatchback was updated last year. It is among the nine cars in the company lineup, which meet the upcoming safety norms of India. The Celerio is powered by a 999cc, 3 cylinder K10 engine offering 68 bhp power and 90 Nm torque with a power to weight ratio of 80-83.4hp/tonne. The engine allows for acceleration from 0 to 100 kmph in 14.24 seconds and fuel efficiency of 23.1 kmpl.
8. Datsun Go @ 819 kgs Datsun GO Hatchback recently got a facelift. A new safety kit was added while kerb weight was increased by 20 kgs. These additions makes the new Datsun GO comply with new crash test norms. The GO is powered by a 1.2 liter, 3 cylinder engine offering 68 hp power and 104 Nm torque and commands a power to weight ratio of 80.4-83hp/tonne. Fuel efficiency is at 19.83 kmpl while ABS, EBD and dual front airbags are offered as standard.
9. Maruti Ignis @ 825 kgs Positioned on a Heartect platform, the Maruti Ignis will soon receive a minor facelift, which will increase the safety features on offer with this entry level mini SUV. It is offered in petrol as well as diesel engine options.
10. Maruti Swift @ 855 kgs – New generation Maruti Swift features at the bottom of the list, and is the heaviest car in the list of lightest cars on sale in India. Entry level variant has a kerb weight of 855 kgs. New Swift is also based on new Heartect platform.