Home Car News New Honda Jazz BS6 LED headlight, fog lamp teased - No diesel...

New Honda Jazz BS6 LED headlight, fog lamp teased – No diesel option

Honda Jazz diesel BS6 will not be launched along with the Jazz petrol BS6 in the coming days

Introduction of BS6 emission standards has prompted many auto companies to rework their powertrain strategy. As upgrading diesel units to BS6 can be a complex and costly affair, many carmakers have decided to ditch several of their diesel models. Most recent announcement comes from Honda, wherein the company has decided to offer BS6 Honda Jazz with only a petrol engine. 2020 Honda Jazz will not be getting a BS6 diesel engine.

According to the company, the decision to offer facelift Jazz with only BS6 petrol engine was taken in view of customer preferences. An increasing number of customers have opted for Jazz petrol variant in recent times, which has naturally prompted the switch to petrol-only format for the premium hatchback. Honda India also pointed out to the fact that around 80% of its overall sales comprise petrol models while remaining 20% is from diesel models.

However, the company does not feel that demand for diesel variants will completely dry up. In its own portfolio, Honda has cars that have good demand for diesel variants. For example, diesel variants comprise a significant chunk of overall sales of Honda WR-V and Amaze. This is why both these cars continue to be offered in both petrol and diesel formats. Honda will utilize the same approach to finalize powertrain options for other cars in its portfolio.

2020 Honda WRV
2020 Honda WRV facelift as well as new Gen City will also launch in the coming weeks.

BS6 Honda Jazz to be launched in India will be a facelift and not the next-gen Jazz (4th gen Honda Fit) that is already on sale in international markets. Apart from the engine upgrade, new Jazz is unlikely to have any major changes. Minor changes could include some extra chrome garnish, full-LED headlamps, LED fog lights, LED tail lamps and new machine-cut alloy wheels.

Launch of BS6 Jazz could take some time, as the company’s operations have been significantly impacted by the lockdown. Honda is expected to first launch BS6 WR-V and the next-gen Honda City before it gets to introducing BS6 Jazz.

In its BS4 format, Jazz is powered by the 1.2 litre NA i-VTEC four-cylinder engine that churns out 89 bhp / 110 Nm. Engine is mated to a 5-speed manual or CVT unit. These numbers will not be very different from that of the BS6 engine. The 1.5-litre diesel engine makes 99 bhp and 200 Nm and is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission.

BS6 Honda Jazz will continue to rival the likes of Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Hyundai i20, Toyota Glanza and Tata Altroz. Among these, only Altroz offers a diesel option. Hyundai i20 will get a diesel option when its next-gen version is launched later this year.

Newsletter

* indicates required