A 5-month-old Renault Kwid RXT owned by a senior citizen named Rajesh Ghai reportedly caught fire in the middle of a night last month. By the time the fire was doused, the budget small car’s engine bay had already been baked fully. Following a complaint to the automaker’s 24 hours helpline, the car was taken away promptly.
According to the customer’s version of the incident which has been shared by Team-bhp, the car has not been modified or accessorized and had clocked about 2,000 km at the time on the incident. Renault India offered to give the customer a new car as a replacement if a faulty design or wiring was found to be the cause of the fire.
The fire appears to have started in the engine bay.
However, after two days, Renault India officials wrote to the customer stating that there is no manufacturing defect or design flaw in the car. The officials tagged the fire as an accident and directed the customer to approach his insurance provider for claims against damage.
Considering the spontaneous nature of the fire and the car’s unmodified status, it’s surprising that Renault India relegated this episode as a mere accident after just 2 days of inspection. At the time of writing this article, our email query to the automaker regarding this incident remained unanswered.
This is not the first Renault Kwid to have caught fire. There was one more incident reported, details of which remain scarce. From the image it seems that the brand new Renault Kwid had an accident which resulted in the car’s engine catching fire.
The Renault Kwid’s questionable safety credentials came to spotlight after the car received 0-star rating in the Global NCAP crash tests. The fire incident brings more negative publicity for the popular budget car.
Via – Team-bhp.com