Google ‘Year in Search’ report 2018 has been published and there are some interesting findings in the automotive section. Year in Search report can be quite useful for businesses, as it tells them what customers are looking for and which brand or product is getting the most hits.
None of the cars featured in 2017 have been able to make it to 2018 Google ‘Year In Search’ Report. We were expecting names such as Tata Harrier, but it was missing from the list. The reason Harrier is missing from the list is the fact that the name Harrier was coined just a few weeks back. So the search term Tata Harrier does not feature in the list, neither does Tata H5X.
Maruti Swift is also missing, even when it is market leader. It was the most searched car in 2017. Maybe people already know too much about the most sold cars in the country. It also tells us that Google search trends do not necessarily reflect on actual sales figures, at least not always. Here’s a list of the top 10 trending cars, as reflected in Google searches in 2018.
10) Mahindra Alturas G4: A rebadged version of next-gen Ssangyong Rexton, Alturas G4 is the first Indian car to take on rivals such as Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour in the premium SUV segment. It was launched in November 2018 and is priced in the range of Rs 26.95 lakh to Rs 29.95 lakh.
9) BMW X3: Showcased at 2018 Auto Expo, BMX X3 replaces the ageing second-gen model that was found to be lacking when compared to rivals. X3 will take on the likes of Range Rover Evoque, Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, Mercedes-Benz GLC and Lexus NX. BMW X3 is priced in the range of Rs 49.99 lakh to Rs 58.25 lakh.
8) BMW 6GT: Launched at 2018 Auto Expo, BMW 6GT offers more luxury and space, as compared to 5 Series sedan. It’s a good option for customers who want more space than the 5 series, but do not want to choose a different brand. BMW 6GT looks stunning with its Coupe inspired design. It is priced in the range of Rs 61.80 lakh to Rs 73.70 lakh.
7) Jeep Wrangler (JL): This has been spotted testing on Indian roads and has become widely popular even before its launch. It had made its global debut at 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show and India launch is expected soon. Estimated starting price is Rs 65 lakh.
6) Maruti Suzuki Ertiga: Launched in November, second-generation Ertiga gets a new 1.5 litre petrol engine and loads of other upgrades. There are plans to introduce a bigger 1.5 litre diesel engine as well. Based on Suzuki’s Heartect platform, 2018 Ertiga offers improved performance and fuel efficiency. It is priced in the range of Rs 7.44 lakh to Rs 10.90 lakh.
5) Ford Freestyle: 2018 facelifted Ford Freestyle features a new petrol engine and transmission and is the second most selling car in Ford’s stable, the first being EcoSport. It comes with advanced safety features such as 6 airbags, traction control, electronic stability control and ABS with EBD. Ford Freestyle is priced in the range of Rs 5.23 lakh to Rs 7.93 lakh.
4) Hyundai Santro: Probably the biggest success story of the year in the auto industry, as bookings have crossed 38.5K by November 2018. Featuring a stylish tall boy design, all-new Hyundai Santro comes with a host of premium features. It takes on rivals such as Maruti Wagon R and Tata Tiago. It is priced in the range of Rs 3.90 lakh to Rs 5.65 lakh.
3) Toyota Yaris: At 3rd place in trending list, it’s a bit surprising that Yaris sales have not been able to match the numbers. Toyota Yaris is built for superior comfort and convenience and offers advanced safety features. It is priced in the range of Rs 9.29 lakh to Rs 14.07 lakh.
2) Mahindra Marazzo: This has created significant buzz in the market and has been registering brisk sales since its launch in September 2018. Marazzo offers various segment first features such as body-on-frame construction and roof-mounted air conditioning for backseat passengers. Rivalling Maruti Ertiga and Innova Crysta, Marazzo is priced in the range of Rs 9.99 to Rs 13.90 lakh.
1) Honda Amaze: Launched in May, second-gen Amaze was an instant success after it became the second best-selling car in compact sedan segment. Honda Amaze comes in both petrol and diesel variants and offers manual as well as automatic transmission options. It is priced in the range of Rs 5.80 to Rs 9.10 lakh.