Tata Motors conducts raids across country with help of police to stop menace of counterfeit spares
With the growing demand for cars, the demons for spares to has risen, and so has the menace of counterfeit spares. In an attempt to wipe the counterfeit spares from the auto market, Tata Motors has been conducting raids across Indian cities with help of police.
In all, Tata Motors has conducted 70 raids till date, since they started working towards cleaning this business back in June 2013. As many as 8 raids has been conducted in the Delhi-NCR area, which has been a primary region of the flourishing counterfeit spares industry.
According to Mr. Rajesh Bagga, Vice President – Legal, Tata Motors, “The use of spurious parts poses a safety risk to consumers. Data shows that over 50% of spares for all popular brands sold in the market are fake and unreliable. Studies also show that 70% of consumers opt for fake spares instead of visiting authorised service centres, once the warranty period on the vehicle has expired. Customer Awareness is the key to curb sale of counterfeit products, prompting Tata Motors to generate countrywide awareness campaigns about safety risks posed by spurious / counterfeit spare parts.”
The TGP team has launched a series of pilfer-proof plastic packaging for Gear and Differential Parts as well as lazer marking with Tata Logo, a slew of security enriched packaging stickers and labels and the Tata Dhaal hologram on the packaging, as identification aids to provide customers with additional assurance when they buy Tata Motors spares. Tata Motors has also kick-started regular Mechanic and Retailer Meets and various outreach programs through the Spare Parts Distributors, educating the influencers and end customers on the various initiatives taken by the company to control the counterfeit parts.
Based on complaints from Tata Motors’ sources, the Delhi Police launched raid operations against violators at the following locations in Delhi:-
- Krishna Labels and Praveen Motors, Guru Nanak Market, Kashmere Gate in June 2013
- Sarai Rohilla – Vardon House- Padam Nagar in August 2013
- Manufacturing unit at D49- Bhajanpura, Delhi in August 2013
- Nawada Village – Uttam Nagar in September 2013
- APJ Polyflex- Azadpur in October 2013
- Lamba International, Bada Bazaar, Kashmere Gate in October 2013
- Manufacturing unit at 2820/23, Gurunanak Market, Kashmere Gate in October 2013.
- Manufacturing unit at 774, Chabi Ganj, Kashmere Gate in October 2013