British sportscar manufacturers, Radical has announced their new sportscar – SR1. This new entry level sports car is lightweight, efficient and high in performance. Priced well below £30,000 ($46,000) and powered by 1.3L Suzuki made petrol engine, which is now tuned to generate 210 bhp and peak torque of 177 Nm, SR1 does a 0-60 mph (0-100 kmph) in just 3.6 seconds.
Highly reliable chassis with a dependable powertrain, SR1 offers excellent grip and enhanced aerodynamics. It possesses Radical specific Dunlop wet and road tyre options. Its six speed sequential gearbox is standard with Quaife ATB differential. Radical has priced its SR1 at £29,850 (taxes extra). Radical currently sells six different models – SR1, SR4 CS, PR6, SR3 RS, SR3 SL and SR8 RX.
Mr Phill Abbott, Radical Co-Founder, said, “Over the last decade, the SR range has introduced and inspired a new generation of racing and track driving enthusiasts, and the SR1 extends that engineering development out to a wider audience. The SR1 is brilliant fun to drive and the performance is readily accessible for drivers of all abilities and ages. We’re all really excited about the SR1 and I’m certain that it will be a huge success. You only have to take a brief test drive to discover just how good the car is!”
Auto News Release
RADICAL ANNOUNCES THE SR1, A NEW AND THRILLING EDITION TO ITS GLOBAL RANGE OF LIGHTWEIGHT SPORTSCARS
The entry-level sportscar with real racing credentials
Designed for enthusiasts looking to take their circuit driving to the next level with a focused sports-racing car, the SR1 concept wraps up the Radical ownership experience into one easy package with a comprehensive standard specification that is ideal for trackdays and club motorsport, including circuit racing, hillclimbs and sprints.
The SR1’s LMP-inspired styling is no accident. Developed by the same team that created Radical’s SR9 LMP2 racecar, the SR1 mirrors current prototype design, while the two-seater cockpit is ideal for professional driving tuition, or even entertaining business partners and friends. Powered by the exceptionally reliable, 210bhp RPE-Suzuki four-cylinder engine – used to great effect in a wide range of Radical’s existing products – the SR1 features a six-speed sequential gearbox as standard, with a Quaife ATB differential ensuring very high levels of grip and control.
Braking is provided by 240mm, 30-vane ventilated discs with four-pot calipers that generate exceptional stopping power. Occupants are protected by a comprehensive safety cell and deformable crash structure tested to FIA standards, racing-specification harnesses and an integral fire extinguisher system. Latest-generation sportscar aerodynamics mean that the SR1 sticks to the track like only a Radical can, with grip limits far beyond the realms of its market rivals thanks to Radical-specific Dunlop slick, wet and road tyre options.
Unbeatable performance-for-pound ratio
The Radical SR1 retails at £29,850+VAT; in this price range, nothing touches it for speed and trackday ability. Revving higher, braking later and cornering harder than the opposition, the SR1 humbles GT and supercars with six-figure price tags.
Min Weight: 520 kg
Max Speed: 138mph
0-60mph: 3.6 sec
50-100mph: 6.1 sec
Braking G’s: 1.8
Cornering G’s: 2.3
SR1 Standard Features
– Two-seater powder-coated carbon steel spaceframe chassis with integral safety cell – complying with MSA safety requirements.
– Aluminium front crash structures.
– 44 litre foam-filled aluminium fuel tank mounted behind the driver within the safety cell.
– Fully adjustable pedal box.
– Driver seat-belt complying wth FiA requirements.
– Four Butterfly, 41mm fuel injection system with composite ram air box
– Lightweight steel flywheel with multi-plate clutch
– Stainless steel manifold and silencer
– Six-speed sequential transverse gearbox
– Chain drive system, torque-biasing limited-slip differential for seamless diff lock-up
– Fully adjustable Nik suspension system front and rear – unequal length top and bottom wishbones, fabricated uprights, forged steel centre lock hubs and interchangeable anti-roll links
– Single-adjustable, coil-over dampers
– Radical four-pot calipers front and rear
– 240mm dia. × 25mm, 30-vane ventilated discs front and rear
– Radical cast aluminium wheels – 7″ × 13″ dia. front and 9″ × 13″ dia. rears.
– Dunlop bespoke slick tyres.
– Four-piece lightweight fibre-glass bodywork with self-coloured gel coat finish
– Owners name on side of cockpit
– Composite front diffuser with removable, high-nose, low-drag front section
– Wheel arch and side pod louvres
– Rear view mirrors
– Composite side pods with radiator inlet and internal ducting
– Composite side-skirts
– Removeable composite tail section with intergral induction intake and ventilation grilles
– Rear wing with end plates
– Rear brake and fog lights
– Moulded composite, high-sided, drivers and passenger seats with adjustable mounts
– Carbon-composite dashboard surround
– Radical display unit incorparating an LED analogue rev counter, gear indicator, shift light, four LCD displays of engine parameters/speed and warning lights
– Dash-mounted brake bias adjuster.
– Powertec Suzuki 1340cc 4-cylinder double overhead cam engine with a dry-sump oil system
– Engine performance 210bhp – 130ft/Ibs – 10,500rpm