Aston Martin brings in updated V8 Vantage for US markets at $118,370 (Photos)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage was showcased at the Geneva Motor Show this year. The revised entry level model is all set to make its entry into US markets and will be seen with a number of updates from its superior Vantage S while some other changes and seven speed Sportshift II with sequential transmission is seen in place of the six speed version. Besides this, suspension and brakes too have been upgraded in the new model while it will continue to house a 4.7 liter V8 engine offering 420 hp and; 346 lb/ft torque.
Aston Martin Vantage range will cost $118,370 for the coupe while the Roadster will cost $132,870. The gearbox has been designed specifically for Aston Martin and offers faster and more precise shifts, and enhanced acceleration which results in a higher level of driving experience.
The V8 Vantage is a two door two seat coupe or a soft top convertible. Extensive use of aluminum is seen in its body. It has a pair of halogen projector headlamps, high intensity discharge headlamps and LED rear lamps.
In its interiors one can see full grained leather interiors with leather trimmed steering wheel and electrically operated sports seats with side airbags besides driver and passenger front airbags. Heated mirrors and heated rear screen are added features while its exterior options include V spoke cast alloy graphite painted wheels, a bright finish grille and magnum silver bonnet.
The New Aston Martin Vantage Range for 2012
• Improvements to V8 Vantage further enhance dynamics, style and value
• Seven-speed Sportshift II™ transmission replaces six-speed Sportshift™ unit
• Chassis and braking upgrades deliver greater feel, response and control
• Motorsport-derived aerodynamic package sharpens V8 Vantage’s award-winning looks
• Enhanced standard specification for V8 Vantage with range prices now starting from $118,370 (Coupe) and $132,870 (Roadster)
10 April 2012, Gaydon: The Aston Martin Vantage range continues to evolve with a comprehensive array of improvements to the V8 Vantage aimed at enhancing the dynamic feel and style plus competitive pricing and content offering of the marque’s entry-level sports car.
In a comprehensive program of enhancements, the revised 4.7-liter entry-level V8 Vantage that produces 420bhp and 346lb.ft of torque, features a raft of improvements first seen in the critically acclaimed Vantage S. The standard six-speed manual transmission remains, but the optional six-speed Sportshift™ automated manual transmission has now been replaced with the seven-speed Sportshift II™. With an additional gear, closer ratios, lower final drive and a quicker, refined shift quality, this new gearbox – designed and manufactured specifically for Aston Martin – provides faster and more precise shifts, optimizes acceleration and delivers a sporting driving experience.
Further dynamic enhancements centre on the V8 Vantage’s chassis, which features developments from the Vantage S. Quicker steering, bigger brakes and wider tires have all been fitted to further enhance the V8 Vantage’s class-leading poise and make it even more responsive and exciting to drive. A new steering column installation, re-valved power-steering pump and a quicker ratio of 15:1 compared to 17:1 on the previous model ensure the new V8 Vantage steers with even greater precision, handles with more agility and provides more feedback for a completely engaging drive. Stopping power and pedal feel have been significantly increased thanks to new 380mm two-piece ventilated cast-iron front discs and six piston callipers. This new braking system also includes Hill Start Assist (HSA) for more precise control on steep inclines.
The V8 Vantage also comes with tires that are 10mm wider than the outgoing model. Not only does this increased contact area improve the V8 Vantage’s already prodigious levels of road-holding, but it allows the more responsive steering and stronger brakes to be fully exploited.
To reflect its enhanced performance, the V8 Vantage has received a number of styling changes inspired by the Vantage S and V12 Vantage. At the front a lower bumper – complete with aerodynamic splitter – houses a larger air intake that feeds the engine and front brakes. At the rear a diffuser creates added drama and function, while sculpted race-derived side sills complete the V8 Vantage’s more muscular look.
These technical and styling changes have been applied to both the V8 Vantage Coupe and Roadster models, with prices now starting from $118,370 (Coupe) and $132,870 (Roadster) respectively (CAD $124,289 & $139,664). Both V8 Vantage models also enjoy a generous standard specification that now also includes a fully integrated satellite navigation system developed in conjunction with Garmin, satellite radio, front and rear parking sensors, cruise control, remote garage door opener and Bluetooth® telephone connectivity.
The $137,670 (CAD $144,550) Vantage S remains the highest performing and most driver-focussed V8-engined model in the range. Developing 430bhp (436PS/321kW) at 7,300rpm and 361lb.ft (490Nm) of torque at 5,000rpm, the Vantage S’s more potent state of engine tune perfectly complements the Sportshift II™ close-ratio seven speed automated manual transmission, which is fitted as standard. A sports exhaust system unique to the ‘S’ further emphasizes its sporting credentials, delivering a rousing soundtrack that’s totally in keeping with the intensity of the driving experience.
Carbon fiber detailing of the Vantage S’s motorsport-derived aerodynamic package makes a discreet and highly appealing visual distinction from the V8 Vantage, while inside the ‘S’ variant features a sumptuously trimmed interior that demonstrates Aston Martin’s unique ability to combine the craftsmanship of traditional hand-stitched leather upholstery with striking modern design. The ‘S’ derivative also enjoys the same levels of equipment offered as standard in the V8 Vantage.
Production of the sensational V12 Vantage continues unchanged; this acclaimed model delivering its unrivalled blend of extreme performance, exclusivity and practicality in one unique package. Powered by a 6.0-liter V12 engine producing 510bhp (380kW / 517PS), and 420 lb.ft (570 Nm) of torque, this remarkable evolution of the Vantage has a top speed of 190mph (305km/h) and 0-62mph (0-100km/h) time of 4.2 seconds while its uniquely thrilling character distinguishes it from the rest of the range.
Later this year the Vantage range will be joined by the exotic V12 Zagato which assumes the position as the flagship of the range. Created in 2011 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the iconic DB4GT Zagato, a prototype V12 Zagato caused a sensation by winning the prestigious Villa D’Este concours and competing in the Nürburgring 24-hour race. Now, less than 12-months after its dramatic debut, the V12 Zagato – employing a unique blend of bespoke Italian design, hand-built craftsmanship and advanced technology – is poised to enter strictly limited production. Priced at (British Pound) £330,000 (plus local taxes) and first deliveries will commence later this year.
Racing is in Aston Martin’s DNA and the Vantage is at the forefront of Aston Martin’s motorsport activity. The Vantage first went racing in 2006, when Aston Martin’s CEO Dr Ulrich Bez and members of Gaydon’s engineering department took a near-standard V8 Vantage to the gruelling Nürburgring 24 hour race. Since then GT4 versions of the V8 Vantage have become a force to be reckoned with, spawning one-make race series and winning their class in Dubai, Nürburgring, Silverstone and Spa 24-hour races. For 2012 Aston Martin is stepping up a gear with the new GT3 V12 Vantage. Currently undergoing an extensive test program this spectacular new racing car will be in action throughout the 2012 season.
Combining iconic styling, thrilling performance, true craftsmanship and exclusivity the revitalised Vantage range offers unprecedented breadth and appeal. The revised V8 Vantage together with the rest of the range is available to order now from Aston Martin’s dealership network with prices starting from $118,370 (US) and $124,289 (Canada).
US Specification – V8 Vantage
• Two-seat, two-door coupe or soft-cover convertible top body style
• Extruded bonded aluminium VH body structure
• Aluminium, magnesium alloy, composite and steel body
• Extruded aluminium door side-impact beams
• Halogen projector headlamps (main beam), High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps (dipped beam) and LED rear lamps
• All-alloy quad overhead camshaft, 32-valve 4735 cc V8
• Front mid-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
• Fully catalyzed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
• Compression ratio 11.3:1
• Maximum Power: 420bhp (313kW / 426PS) at 7,300rpm
• Maximum Torque: 346lb.ft (470Nm) at 5,000rpm
• Maximum Speed: 180mph (290km/h)
• Rear mid-mounted six-speed manual transmission
• Optional rear mid-mounted ‘Sportshift II’* seven-speed automated manual transmission
• Alloy torque tube with carbon fiber propeller shaft
• Limited slip differential
• Final Drive Ratio 3.909:1 (manual); 4.182:1 (Sportshift II*’)
• Rack and pinion, power-assisted steering, 2.62 turns lock-to-lock
• Column tilt and reach adjustment.
Wheels & Tires
• 19″ V-Spoke cast alloy silver painted wheels with diamond turned finish
• Front: 8.5J x 19″ Bridgestone Potenza RE050 245/40 ZR19
• Rear: 10.0J x 19″ Bridgestone Potenza RE050 285/35 ZR19 Suspension:
• Front: Independent double wishbones incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, antiroll bar and monotube dampers
• Rear: Independent double wishbones with anti- squat and anti-lift geometry, coil springs,
anti-roll bar and monotube dampers
• Front: Ventilated and grooved two-piece floating discs, 380mm diameter with six-piston
• Rear: Ventilated and grooved steel discs, 330mm diameter with four-piston calipers
• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
• Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
• Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
• Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
• Positive Torque Control (PTC)
• Hill Start Assist (HSA)
• Traction Control
• Full grain leather interior
• Piano Black facia trim and Graphite centre console finish
• Leather-trimmed sports steering wheel
• Electrically operated Sports seats with side airbags
• Dual-stage driver and passenger front airbags
• Powerfold exterior heated mirrors
• Heated rear screen
• Automatic temperature control
• Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) displays
• Trip computer
• Integrated satellite navigation system
• Cruise control
• Bluetooth® telephone preparation
• Front & rear parking sensors
• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system
• Auto dimming interior rear view mirror with garage door opener
• Alarm and immobiliser
• Remote-controlled central door locking and boot release
• Glass ECU
• LED map lamps
• Lamy pen and pen holder
• Satellite radio system
• 160W Aston Martin audio system with six-CD autochanger
• Integrated Apple iPod® connector
• USB connector with Waveform Audio Format (WAF), Windows Media Player (WMA) and MPEG (MP3) audio file compatibility
• V-Spoke cast alloy graphite painted wheels with diamond turned finish
• 10-Spoke forged alloy silver painted wheels with diamond turned finish
• 10-Spoke forged alloy graphite painted wheels with diamond turned finish • Sport suspension (coupe only)
• Carbon fiber body pack (front splitter and rear diffuser)
• Bright-finish grill
• Magnum Silver bonnet and side stake meshes
• Clear rear lamps
• Alternative brake caliper finish – black, red, silver or yellow
• Memory front seats and exterior mirrors (three positions)
• Heated seats
• Passenger seat with ISOFIX (fixed height)
• Alternative facia trim finishes – Walnut, Mahogany, Tamo Ash, Bamboo, Iridium Silver interior with Piano Black
• Color-keyed leather sports steering wheel
• Indented leather seat inserts
• 700W Aston Martin Premium Audio system with Dolby® Pro Logic II®
• 1000W Bang & Olufsen BeoSound audio system with ICEpower® technology
• Alarm upgrade (volumetric and tilt sensor)
• Second glass ECU
• Personalized sill plaques
• Ashtray and cigar lighter
• Boot mounted umbrella
• Wind deflector (Roadster only)
• First aid kit
• Length: 4385mm (172.6″)
• Width (excluding mirrors): 1865mm (73.5″)
• Width (including mirrors): 2025mm (79.7″)
• Height (Coupe): 1260mm (49.6″)
• Height (Roadster): 1270mm (50.0″)
• Wheelbase: 2600mm (102.4″)
• Front Track: 1570mm (61.8″)
• Rear Track: 1590mm (62.6″)
• Turning Circle: 11.38m (37.3ft) (kerb to kerb)
• Boot Capacity (Coupe): 300 liters (10.6 cu ft)/(Roadster): 144 liters (5.0 cu ft)
• Fuel Capacity: 80 liters (21.1 US gal)
• Kerb Weight (Coupe): 3595lb (1630kg)/(Roadster): 3770lb (1710kg)
Gas Mileage (North America):
Manual Sportshift II™
• City 13mpg • City 14mpg
• Highway 19mpg • Highway 21mpg
* iPod® is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries
*’Sportshift’ trademark is used under license from Prodrive (Holdings) Ltd
2012 Aston Martin V8 Vantage FIRST LOOK