The billowing black smoke at an under construction shed at Bajaj Auto Ltd, Akurdi plant was visible from quite a distance. Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) Fire Officer Uday Wankhede affirmed that the fire was put out after one and a half hours and 11 fire tenders from PCMC were pushed into action while the smoke spread over a kilometer area in Yamunanagar, Nigdi Chowk, Bhakti Shakti drawing out crowds of people in panic.
Inflammable substances such as foam, cables and wooden furniture stored inside the Bajaj Auto shed caused rapid spread of the fire. Construction workers at the site were immediately evacuated to prevent injuries or casualties. No immediate cause of the Bajaj Auto Akurdi fire was ascertained.
Extent of damage is being assessed. Initial inspection puts the cause of fire to either short circuit or spark from welding work being carried out at the construction site could be the cause of the Bajaj Auto Akurdi fire. The company is offering full support to authorities to speed up further investigation.